This final concert opens with Beethoven’s depiction of the conflict between bravado and tenderness, a classic of his middle period compositional style. Dohnányi was an almost exact contemporary of Bartok but their musical styles are very different. Here, instead of one of his more familiar piano works, the orchestra performs his passionate and melodic Konzertstücke for cello, marking a welcome return visit for soloist Thomas Carroll. Finally, Brahms’s second symphony – moving from its quiet and soulful opening movements to its cheerful, lyrical finale – lends a spring-like air of optimism to the conclusion of this closing concert. Brighton Dome is only 10 minute walk from Sea Spray.
- Rovo and system 7 @ The Concorde 2 on Sunday 9th of March
- Fallen Angel at the Theatre Royal Tuesday 4th-Saturday 8th of March
- Tonight’s The Night at The Theatre Royal, Monday 10th-Saturday 15th of March
- Sussex Beer and Cider Festival, Hove Town Hall Thursday 6th-Saturday 8th March
- Weekend offers at The Sea Spray Hotel !